Lincoln Woods Salvage Project

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events Lincoln Woods Salvage Project

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

Good Morning all,

The snow has fallen and it is time to schedule the Lincoln Woods salvage project in Lincoln, NH. We may be ready to go as early as next week. We have been planning this project for a year now and are excited to get started.

DAPNet is partnering with the US Forest Service to remove salvage bridge materials from the Lincoln Wilderness on the Pemigewasset River. The materials are located approximately 5 miles up the river in the Lincoln woods.

The project will use two teams of horses to scoot the material out to the wilderness boundary along the existing railroad bed. We are looking for about 6 volunteers to help cook, set up camp and keep the fires going through the day as well as help moving the materials on to the scoots and sleds. We are planning to schedule this job very soon, possibly as soon as next week as there is now snow in the woods in the Mountains.

We will be camping in the woods and have limited space in the wall tent so be prepared for cold weather camping if you are going to stay overnight. All food will be provided at camp. Transportation in to the wilderness boundary (2.5 miles in from the Kancamagus Highway Ranger Station) will be available.

Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank you for your interest,

Ed Thayer
    Program and Events Chairman
    603-495-3554

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Good Morning all,

We have serious concerns with the forecasted temperatures in the Lincoln woods for the upcoming weekend. Forecasts show double digits below zero with real feel temps around -30 below. Horses and people work slow and it will be cumbersome at best in these temps if not down right dangerous. We are rescheduling this project for Monday, Tuesday Wednesday of next week, January 28-30 or 31st. The following weekend does not work as we lose a teamster and other critical support staff for the project.

I realize most of you that have volunteered have jobs and this schedule will probably exclude you from this project and I apologize for that. But the bottom line is to get this job completed while the conditions are suitable, ie; snow covered trail and safe operating conditions.

I have spoken to the Forest Service and they are all set with the schedule change. We plan to head up Sunday and load scoots, set up camp and mobilize other items at the Ranger Station on Rt 302, then stay in the Ranger Station Sunday night and head for the woods first thing Monday morning.

The Forest Service has allowed us to use the Ranger Station for volunteers to sleep in during the night. They only ask that all cots, sleeping bags etc. be removed during the day as they will staff it and it we be open to the public.Please let me know who may still be available to help with the project and the new schedule.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your flexibility.

Ed Thayer

603-495-3554 Home
    603-340-4035 Cell

Livewater Farm
    Participant

Ed can you tellus more about the project like who is involved

teamsters workers amount of material to move etc
    thanks
    Bill

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Briefly,
    I just got back a little while ago from the project. I called this afternoon & heard that things were moving along & they expected to finished today so I went up to haul scoots back. It was probably 6:30-quarter till seven (dark) when Brad & John drove out of the woods. Things generally went well, no one got hurt and the job got done, apparently to the satisfaction of the FS.
    I’ll let those involved at the site provide more detail later.
    A mighty “Huzzah” for Ed Thayer’s organizational skill & dedication.
    Mark

jen judkins
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Mark. I’m relieved the job is done and everyone is safe. I doubt most folk understand what a potentially dangerous project this was. Great job everyone! Looking forward to seeing the photos and video!

dominiquer60

Thanks for the up dates, I am imagine they were all beaming and exhausted last night. Good job Team DAPNet!

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Just home from Lincoln, having driven through freezing rain, rain, and snow – what a mess! That said, the project went quite well this week. The horses, teamsters, and volunteers all did a super job with some pretty unusual scoot loads. I want to send out a special thanks to the volunteers for doing a superb job with all the logistics and support work. Thanks to Ed, Jane, Jim, Glen, Mark, Dan, Jake, Tracy, and Scott (hope I did not leave anyone out there). This kind of work really makes my proud of this community of folks and what we are able to accomplish when we come together for a project. I think the FS is very pleased to have that mess out of the wilderness area. And, maybe this will lead to more work for our horses with the FS…
    -Brad

Ed Thayer
    Participant

This is a copy of an e-mail sent to DAPNet from John Marunowski of the US Forest Service.

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all those who helped with the Black Brook debris removal project in the Pemi Wilderness. For me it was an unforgettable experience to see draft horses in action, work with amazing partners, volunteers and employees and bring partial closure to a multi-year bridge removal project. The new partnership with the Draft Animal Power Network (DAPNet) was a huge success and I couldn’t have asked for a more dedicated, down to earth bunch of folks. My hope is that we will see their faces around the forest working on future projects.

The project was projected to last 3 days but we pulled it off in two long days (we were motivated with the prediction of freezing rain). In summary, sixteen Steel I Beams weighing approximately 900 lbs. each were pulled 1.8 miles to the Pemigewasset Wilderness boundary along with an assortment of wooden components from the bridge.

Thanks again for enduring cold weather and long days out there. We couldn’t have done it without your support. Ed, can you please pass this message along to all the DAPNet folks involved with and supporting the project.

Andy Carson

Great job everyone!

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Here is a link to some more photos of the project.

Ed

https://picasaweb.google.com/107396364480794542661/LincolnWoods2013#

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

man, that looks like fun! Nice job.

Eli
    Participant

Awsome looks like a blast.

Carl Russell

@highway 39595 wrote:

This is a copy of an e-mail sent to DAPNet from John Marunowski of the US Forest Service.

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all those who helped with the Black Brook debris removal project in the Pemi Wilderness. For me it was an unforgettable experience to see draft horses in action, work with amazing partners, volunteers and employees and bring partial closure to a multi-year bridge removal project. The new partnership with the Draft Animal Power Network (DAPNet) was a huge success and I couldn’t have asked for a more dedicated, down to earth bunch of folks. My hope is that we will see their faces around the forest working on future projects.

The project was projected to last 3 days but we pulled it off in two long days (we were motivated with the prediction of freezing rain). In summary, sixteen Steel I Beams weighing approximately 900 lbs. each were pulled 1.8 miles to the Pemigewasset Wilderness boundary along with an assortment of wooden components from the bridge.

Thanks again for enduring cold weather and long days out there. We couldn’t have done it without your support. Ed, can you please pass this message along to all the DAPNet folks involved with and supporting the project.

Yesterday I was visiting University of Vermont School of Natural Resources and stopped in to see an old classmate of mine who works for USFS overseeing Wilderness in the Northeast…… and he said he had just got off the phone with his colleague in NH who was raving about your work.

Good job all….

Carl

Scott G
    Participant

@Carl Russell 39639 wrote:

Yesterday I was visiting University of Vermont School of Natural Resources and stopped in to see an old classmate of mine who works for USFS overseeing Wilderness in the Northeast…… and he said he had just got off the phone with his colleague in NH who was raving about your work.

Good job all….

Carl

When it comes to procuring quality ecosystem services work for Natural Resource Agencies, word of mouth and networking are everything. Pulling off a great job, in spades, almost always begets more great natural resource projects. You can take my word on that one. Get ready for the gates to open…

Kudos to the DAP team for pulling this off as an unqualified success. I was impressed. Special Kudos to Eddie & Jane for all of the logistics & prep that it takes to pull off a project of this scope & scale. It ain’t easy, and requires a phenomenal amount of time up front, but is the primary difference in ensuring projects such as this sail or fail. E & J have set the bar very high on this one.

BTW, this job was a “real-kick-in-the-ass-great-time” with great people!

Ronnie Tucker
    Participant

i have watched with great intent.i love a challenge and wished i could have helped.but i doubt i could deal with that cold weather.i am glad youall showed how to git it done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.