Logrite Arch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

Good afternoon all,
    Has anyone had any experience with the logrite arch hooked behind a forecart. I like that the log can be kept clean and that is what I am looking for to keep from wrecking blades on our sawmill.

http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/ATV-Arch

Ed

Rick Alger
    Participant

Hi Ed,

I have a Logrite Fetching Arch. I don’t use it regularly; it’s hard to beat a scoot for keeping logs out of the mud.

I have used it to move logs down a gravel road, and I have also used it as a tag axle for long or large logs (like linemen pull telephone poles.)

I find it will definitely do the job, but it’s best to have a helper. It takes a while to get things hooked up, and the horses don’t like the way the pole moves as you winch up the log.

You are welcome to come over and take a look at mine and borrow it if you like what you see. I’m at 354 French Hill in Milan.

dominiquer60

Sam’s winch trailer is a similar concept to the logrite arch. The ability to keep logs clean and rolling large sticks along easily is priceless when you want to keep your sawyer happy.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hey Ed:

Ditto Rick’s comments. I’ve never used a logrite arch, but it is hard to beat a scoot for keeping logs/firewood off the ground. Also, I can’t imagine the logrite can equal the payload of a scoot. And let’s not forget the elegance of the scoot and it’s connection to horsemen of old!

George

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Does' Leap.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Does' Leap.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

Rick,

Do you have the tongue option to hitch it to a forecart? It looks like it is built very well. And somewhat light to move around. I am thinking I can winch logs to the access road and then put the tongue on it and haul the logs off the ground to the mill.

Ed

Rick Alger
    Participant

Yes, I have a part that allows me to connect the arch to the forecart with a 2″ trailer ball. However, the winch is geared for lifting, which it does very well, but it is way too slow to efficiently pull logs any distance on the ground. One way to pull logs to a trail is to use a cable or rope with a self-releasing pulley in a tree.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

George, Rick,

I did not do a good job of describing my thoughts here, I have some large diameter pine logs to retrieve from a wet area where I can not get the horses. My thought was to use the arch and a tractor winch to remove them from the wetland by hooking the winch cable to the forwarding arch as its designed to do and pulling them to dry ground. Once the logs are on dry ground I could skid them the rest of the way to the access road with the horses and forecart pulling the arch behind it with the log suspended and reduce the ground contact and contaminating the logs with dirt. The concept here is to not load the logs up with mud which drastically reduces the life of my bandmill blades. It will also reduce the impact to the surrounding wetland and soils.

I do use my log scoot but don’t feel it is appropriate for this specific situation.

Ed

Rick Alger
    Participant

That should work.

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Good discussion here gentlemen. I think it points toward a larger concept of being able to apply different tools in different scenarios so that you use the right tool for the job. As I gain experience in the woods I keep finding myself coming back to this truism. I try to keep reminding myself to be nimble and use the best tool I have available and not fall into a rut as I work. Good luck!
    -Brad

dominiquer60

Ed,

For large saw logs that you want to keep clean, something that works like a logrite is great. A scoot can be loaded off a brow without much effort, but if you are cabling them out of a wet land, I am guessing that is not an option. You may be able to put more on a scoot, but you can load a winch trailer by yourself with more ease on the body. We have 5 acres of stoney land that is seasonally wet, there are a few paths for the horses, but for much of the larger wood we use a block and cable and use horses or the tractor to pull it to the edge of the field. The system is not perfect, Sam would like to invest in a self releasing block, but until then it sure beats trying to go in after the logs. If you have a real lunker of stick, you can strap the winch trailer directly to the far end and make it easier to extract. I tried attaching a photo that may explain it easier.

Erika

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    vtlogger
    Participant

old post but i’ll chime in…Yes the fetching arch will work for what you are trying to do, i have both a fetching arch and avt and have used the fetch to get log out of where it’s hard to get a horse or tractor .. biggest thing is to run the rope/cable though the front of the arch and down to the front of the log, so when you pull the front of the log will pick up.. think logrite has a video on how that works .. you can also see the fetch on a forcart at VThorselogging.com

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.