Mower Modifications for Clipping Pasture

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Mower Modifications for Clipping Pasture

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Does’ Leap
    Participant

Here are a couple of pictures of some modifications I made to the inner and outer shoes of my mower so that I can clip higher. I don’t often get around to clipping pastures as soon as I would like after my goats and horses have grazed and was concerned about clipping pasture re-growth – even at the mower’s highest setting – the longer I waited (sometimes up to a week later). I drilled out about 5″ of flat bar and welded two sections to the inner and outer shoe adjustments. It gave me an additional 4.5 inches of clipping height and worked well. The inner shoe welding was easy as I was able to weld on a straight section. The outer shoe had to be welded in two sections as it has an arc to it. This modification also came in handy in clipping especially gnarly pastures with protruding rocks and other obstacles (also pictured below).

George
    inner shoe

outer shoe

pasture

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Great idea George. How does it work on the taller weeds. Does it clip well or drag them down? I am guessing sharp knives and proper set up is key.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi Ed:

Mower does great on tall weeds. On the continuum of things that are tough to cut, I would put tall weeds at the bottom and lodged, wet grass at the top! This modification would work well in controlling milkweed in that you can top the milkweed without cutting too much grass.

George

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.