oregon trail

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    reb
    Participant

Mitch,
    you know it sounds good! I drive by his place every day our shop is just a couple mile down the road. Nick is a common sight in town (Damariscotta) with his team. You should see the looks he gets when he take the team through the banks drive up window. I wish them luck in there trip, and please keep us updated.
    Richard

mitchmaine
    Participant

hey richard,
    when i was about six (1954), therewas this 62 year old woman from west minot who rode a mule to work. the neighbors called her jackass annie (wilkins or wilcox, i think). her doctor told her she had two years to live, so she took her pickle money ($32), climbed on a farm horse and set off with her dog. they asked her where she was headed and she said she was going for a ride. well, she didn’t stop til she got to the pacific ocean. she was on tv, art lincletter or aurthur godfrey or something. anyway, she got home 7000 miles later, hopped on the mule and went back to work. and lived another 25 years until 1980, i think. thats the truth the way i heaqrd it. what do you think of that one?
    mitch

reb
    Participant

Great story Mitch.

And here is a link to a story about making a movie about Anniehttp://www.sunjournal.com/node/622880
    Richard

mitchmaine
    Participant

lotta work to get a road named after you, but……………..last call was from wyoming line. torrington? anyway, they spent a few days on this BIG ranch resting up and working cattle and doing that, so off again towards idaho.

mitch

mitchmaine
    Participant

nick and rinker are about three days from the idaho line. coming in to montpelier?
    they just finished some hell on earth place called rocky ridge and lost their pup wagon. the wheel finally collapsed on it. and third set of shoes worn down paper thin til you can twist them in your hands.
    odd feeling talking with someone traveling the oregon trail by cell phone and posting it on computer. he could hop in a truck and in 30 hours be back where he was standing last may.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

What an adventure! Let them know we can help them out when they are near Boise.

Dave

mitchmaine
    Participant

the boys made it west of pocatello. the plan is to get into pendleton by mid september. the mules, harness and wagons will then be up for sale if anyone is interested.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Looking forward to them passing through. Hope we can help.

near horse
    Participant

Pendleton in mid September is the Pendleton Roundup time!

mitchmaine
    Participant

yeah geoff, they were hoping to make the parade. lotta potholes left between here and there, wish them luck.
    they do go near boise dave and out of idaho near ontario some place mitch

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

It would be great to make the paid. Maybe they could put a for sale sign on the rig and mules? They should be able to sell them there. Lord of teamsters in the parade with $!

Dave

leehorselogger
    Participant

had dinner with the buck brothers… they’re working their way around boise…. critters look really good.. nice to see a couple guys work is good set of mules parentheses I can’t believe I said that!… about the mules! they’re heading for pendleton for the roundup . Hopefully things will cool down a little bit

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Met with Nick tonight in Homedale, Idaho. Talked with Rinker by phone. The mules and wagon are in great shape. I can’t believe how awesome the mules look after 1700 miles. They have around 250 more to go including a big climB over the Blues in Oregon. They should make Pendleton in time. We hope to be able to support them at the parade. I’ll try to post pics tomorrow!

Dave

mitchmaine
    Participant

oregon.
    vale, oregon. whoodathunk????????????????? ten or twelve days shy of pendleton. go nick.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

So what was the final resul? I assume they made it! Did they sell the rig and mules? When’s the book coming out?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.