pole light

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

I want to put a 12 volt light on the front of my sleighpole. I have some ideas but would appreciate input, esp. about component selection; battery, light unit. Am thinking maybe have a little solar panel to keep the battery up, something that I could stash under the seat when I am using the sleigh. Or is that unnecessarily complicated?
    I figure the purpose is a small amount of illumination to keep customers from freaking out and to give a little help in tighter spots. Also thinking about running Christmas type (small white) lights along the top of the box on the outside for some “ambiance” if I have the juice.
    Thanks,
    Mark

chrisf.
    Participant

I’d try clear l.e.d.’s off of big trucks. They’re quite a bit more expensive but If I’m not mistaken they draw a lot less power. You can get 4” rounds and 2”x4″ ovals that I have seen.

Michael Colby
    Participant

I run three-way lanterns (porch lights from the hardware store) and x-mas tree lights off deep cycle batteries and a small and cheap inverter. The batteries all come in at night and are attached to a trickle charger. The lanterns are attached to hollow metal rods that extend up about 2 feet from behind the driver’s seat.

I also keep a variety of headlamps that I wear or keep handy “just in case.” While working with Ted Russell a couple of years ago, we even attached a headlamp to his horse, Clayton, and it worked well. I wouldn’t recommend it for every horse but it was a good conversation starter.

I’ll try to post a photo or two later.

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

LED’s would be a good choice. They not only use much less power, they hold up better under vibration and general abuse than incandescent bulbs do. Bob

Rod
    Participant

I have this visor light that attaches to my cap visor. I don’t know but what it could be clipped to the bridle brow band or the pole strap. Just a thought, it takes those little batteries double or triple A.

karl t pfister
    Participant

Mark , I use the tractor utility lights from auto parts store ,they fit inside a 6″ diameter X 4″ long pipe protected ,at the end of the pole . They are rubber mounted take abuse and you can change the bulbs without to much trouble . With a 2 bob sled it takes a little doing to have enough wire slack for turning but not too much to get caught under, I use a bungee to keep it in place . I use a deep cycle battery with a cheap charger mounted there too .
    I am sure the LEDs would be slick needing a smaller pipe for protection etc.,but this works for me . some of my drivers leave them on the whole time i like to alternate going in the darkness and as you said using the light where it is trickier driving .
    I tried treelights on the sleigh with an inverter , they drew a lot of power and I thought it was tacky in the end . I figured out a light on the end of the pole but can’t get photos on to this site , I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round . I can email photos if that would help ? Karl

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Thanks all for the replies. Any photos would be great as always. Karl my email is mark@raggedviewfarm.com

I guess I will go w the 4″ round in the pipe, either incandescent or LED. The pipe under the pole should work well with a plug type neck yoke. It is the quality of the light of LEDs (outlaw blue headlights!) that i dislike but the low draw is probably good. May add an inverter & Christmas lights if it ever gets to the top of the list! Is there anything to know about deep cycle batteries, or is one as good as another?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Andy Carson

I have used incandescent bulbs in simple flashlights on a stoneboat at night before. They produced enough light for my purposes, but I am sure LEDs would be better. I have used an LED headlight on my bicycle quite a bit and am very happy with it. Interestingly, it has a strobe function that I really like. The road is just as visible with a fast strobe as it is with the light constantly on, and it cuts down on battery drain dramatically (maybe 50%). It also makes the bike more visible, which might be a useful feature for your sled too. I am not sure how one would set up a system for strobing your lights, but I thought I would throw the idea out there none-the-less.

Carl Russell

Mark, I can understand the idea of having a light on the sleigh, but you might find it about the same money, and less head-ache to just buys some LED Solar yard lights, and place them strategically along the trail.

It would give a sense of not being total darkness, yet have some ambiance of riding through the dark with the little light in the distance.

Of course having the string lights on the sleigh is also a nice festive idea, but you may be able to find solar powered LED String lights too.

Carl

near horse
    Participant

Mark –

Might be time for a trip down to Radio Shack to see what they’ve got. Is lighting the trail a real option? That would be cool. Strobes or blinkers could be a little crazy but back in my youth we used to by these current interrupter discs from RadioShack that fit in a light socket – voila! Home made flashing lights -groovy:cool:

Good luck – don’t you need some snow?

karl t pfister
    Participant

Hay Mark will try and photo tomorrow , but just looking at the Dec draft horse calender Miscka Farms it looks like he just took a LED flashlight made a wooden holder and, as is said Voila , dun know there may be a wire running there . ?
    Wow batteies $80 – I never got too involved I use em in summer for remote fencing and winter for the sleighs a charge lasts 3-4 days x-mas week and a few weeks after that , Those 4″ tractor light throw a ton of light , wait you don’t measure light by the ton no it’s by the year . kt

blue80
    Participant

Rope lights might be an option too if that hasn’t been discussed. We have rechargeable batteries and use them for led headlamps. Wonder what we ever did before without them…..

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Carl,
    Funny I was just thinking about those yard lights for trail side the other day. Could be cool if those things actually work. I can already think of several good locations. Anyone have any experience with them?
    Karl,
    The flashlight would be down & dirty, low capital outlay, use with re-chargeable batteries… Might be the way to go.
    Andy & Geoff,
    Do you suppose I would have to drive wearing a white Travolta suit if I used the strobes?:cool:

Mark

near horse
    Participant

Hey Mark,

Strobes AND a Travolta leisure suit? I thought part of your reasoning for using lights was to “keep customers from freaking out”? That leisure suit will destroy any chance of that happening.

We have some of those cheap solar lights – they sort of glow more than light up. Could be we bought the cheapest kind.

Carl Russell
    near horse;22658 wrote:
    Hey Mark,

Strobes AND a Travolta leisure suit? I thought part of your reasoning for using lights was to “keep customers from freaking out”? That leisure suit will destroy any chance of that happening.

We have some of those cheap solar lights – they sort of glow more than light up. Could be we bought the cheapest kind.

I have used solar motion detector flood lights on the house for some time. They have stronger light, and a large battery, a solar panel about 8×8″, and work great. I think they make the style without the motion detector, and a switch.

I don’t think you’ld want nor need the motion detectors, but a few well positioned LED solar lights, of the better variety, will give off a good amount of light in a strategic location.

Sorry, no idea about cost….

Carl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.