pole light

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

@Mark Cowdrey 22651 wrote:

Carl,
    Funny I was just thinking about those yard lights for trail side the other day. Could be cool if those things actually work. I can already think of several good locations. Anyone have any experience with them?
    Karl,
    The flashlight would be down & dirty, low capital outlay, use with re-chargeable batteries… Might be the way to go.
    Andy & Geoff,
    Do you suppose I would have to drive wearing a white Travolta suit if I used the strobes?:cool:

Mark

Not having electricity at our barn, we installed some solar powered lights. An 8X8 solar panel/charger (with rechargable AA batteries), and 3 separate lights. These were designed to be “accent” lighting, to show off your shrubbery at night I suppose. Mounted the solar charger on the outside of the barn, one light in the hayloft, one in the tack room, and one for the aisle. Gives enough light for our purposes. Cost was around $39.

We also have a couple of the cheap individual lights mounted on a stake, but these just glow a bit… not really all that useful.

karl t pfister
    Participant

Dan where did you get the 8×8 lights ? Thanks karl

I picked them up at the local hardware store. My memory was a bit off on the size of the solar panel, it measures 4×5 inches.

Dan

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

I am just hooking up a small solar system in my new barn. Panel and controller is from Northern Hydraulics think it was around $200. A bit pricey but we then went for off the shelf LED’s with three over the two tie stalls, one over each work bench, one in the loft and a flood for the times one needs to find the hidden tool in the upper part of the barn. Starting out with an old skidder battery to see how much battery I will need for 3-4 days of no sun. So far I’ve been using the LED in the stalls using the 110 but will take up the 100′ extension tonight to see how it works. Will post charge amount and draw next.

near horse
    Participant

There’s a nice picture of a sled setup w/ a battery and tractor light(s) over on RH site. Worth a look – a nice setup.

Mike Rock
    Participant

What’s the RH site? Recreational horses?

Mike

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

I like the idea of Recreational Horses, but the RH refers to the Rural Heritage site that has a discussion forum called the front porch. Bob

blue80
    Participant

Dec. 23 talking on the phone at 1pm with some friends in town, they were planning on carolling that night behind a pickup truck. They mentioned how it would be fun to do with horses.
    So I got the horses ready, my wife strung the wagon with christmas lights, one guy brought his boat battery, another brought an inverter. Plugged the whole mess in to a power strip, and had a few hrs. up and down main street lit up like a Christmas tree. I put an LED headlamp on strobe mode on the end of the pole, it lasted all night…..
    Met some teenagers who were genuinely excited to “work” with a team. Until they got cold and had to go in and play the new Xbox they got for Christmas…:confused:
    Lots of fun for all.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.