Recommend Good Horse Logging DVD/Video Anyone?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces Recommend Good Horse Logging DVD/Video Anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Gulo
    Participant

I’m wondering if anyone can recommend to me a good instructional video on horselogging. I live on the plains now, but may be moving to tree country, where i plan to utilize trees with the help of my horses. I want to make sure i’m up to speed! (I’ve done and do most farm tasks with the horses, but not yet logging.)

Thanks!

Michael Colby
    Participant

Farmer Brown’s videos are good. But, better than that, find someone who’s doing it in your area and watch/help/learn in real time.

Gulo
    Participant

@Michael Colby 21754 wrote:

Farmer Brown’s videos are good. But, better than that, find someone who’s doing it in your area and watch/help/learn in real time.

Thanks, Michael.

I agree with your comment about real time mentoring, and it’s always what i recommend first, too. There’s always the very real drawback, however, that with skills this esoteric and rare, this can be entirely unrealistic. Unless you have a lot of spare time and travel money.

I started green with mostly green horses, and just “had at ‘er” armed with books to learn from. I use them for the farm work now – don’t have a tractor. There was some very limited mentoring available (mostly by phone), and it was very valuable, but i think if i had relied on real time training to learn, i’d still be doing something else. It’s not an approach i’d recommend to the faint of heart, but for some folks, it’s probably this or never learn. Thanks to Lynn Miller and Doc Hammill especially, I never had a serious wreck.

Anyway, just to clarify, i’ve felled my share of trees and hauled just about everything other than trees in the woods with horses – just looking for a good source to fill in the blanks, supply the details rather than the basics.

Thanks for the lead, i’ll look up Farmer Brown. I also wonder if any of the loggers on here have anythng out?

Gulo
    Participant

Hey Folks –

I should elaborate some more on my needs. Would any of the potential videos/dvd’s have info about the business end of horse logging – what types of arrangements are made with landowners, fees, etc. (I may look into the idea of doing woodlot stuff for others as well.)

Thanks again!

john plowden
    Participant

It’s not to late to sign up for the LIF workshop at MOFGA – Nov 19-21 –
    Hands on and lots of folks to answer questions –

vthorselogger
    Participant

Its not a dvd but the horseloggers manual has a mountain of information. Gregg Caudell is the writer. I have read it twice and am working on a third time with it. Doc Hammill has a logging dvd to I think.

near horse
    Participant

@vthorselogger 21774 wrote:

Its not a dvd but the horseloggers manual has a mountain of information. Gregg Caudell is the writer. I have read it twice and am working on a third time with it. Doc Hammill has a logging dvd to I think.

Greg Caudell also made a DVD RE: horse logging. PM me if you want to “check it out”.

The LIF workshop mentioned earlier is a must attend if you’re anywhere close.

“It’s not to late to sign up for the LIF workshop at MOFGA – Nov 19-21 –
    Hands on and lots of folks to answer questions”

There are some good knowledgable AND personable folks attending that one – including John Plowden and Carl Russell:)

Also – I think that there’s some info on the MOFGA LIF site regarding logging contracts (a PDF document maybe). Also, didn’t Carl post a copy of a basic landowner contract/agreement elsewhere on this site? Scan here and see if you can find it otherwise, let me know and I likely saved a copy (somewhere on my ‘puter).

vthorselogger
    Participant

If the video is half as good as the book it is a must have. I would love to go to Maine, there is just no way I can pull it off this year but I already have it on the calender for the next one.

Scott G
    Participant

Rural Heritage has most of what has been mentioned. Joe will definitely set you up
    http://www.ruralheritage.com/bookstore/catalog_group.cgi?subcategory=l

Also, as far as Gregg’s video, I have noticed clips of it on YouTube. Search “Logging 3 (or three) abreast” and I imagine it will pop up.

Making it to LIF in Maine would be your best bet ;), but if that is out of the question Joe also sells a DVD of LIF @ MOFGA

vthorselogger
    Participant

Do they hold this event every year? I would really love to attend but am unable to get out of my duties around here in order to get away.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

The LIF workshop at Unity is held each year and we may expand some of the horse logging stuff to another date as well. Stay tuned.
    No work in the woods today with the SEaster which blew in last night with rain and not 58 degrees out. Hope all are having a good day.
    Jimbojim

Gulo
    Participant

Thanks everyone, i’ll check out these leads!

bradley

Hey Jim, is there going to be a log scoot built at LIF this year. I thought I saw that on the website or somewhere. I’m looking forward to the workshop.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Healing Harvest Forest Foundation has two DVD’s available about modern horse logging.

The Chronicles of the Biological Woodsmen

$20.00

HHFF
    8014 Bear Ridge Rd.
    Copper Hill, VA. 24079

Also Rural Heritage has:

Restorative Forestry Techniques available through http://www.ruralheritage.com

We consider these state of the art media, but they are not intended to be instructional information. Serving an Apprenticeship with a proven practitioner is the best way to learn. If you have to travel to spend time with someone that is doing this work successfully – consider it a wise investment in your on safety and potential success in this culture.

Good Luck,

Gulo
    Participant

Hey, BW – do these last have examples of contracts? This is the sort of nitty-gritty i’ll be needing.

And again, i totally agree apprenticing is the best way to go, but for me that means local – as in within an hour’s drive or less – or it’s a no-go. This is for two reasons: a) i’m a horse farmer (= it’s expensive and I can’t afford it!) and b) travel is at any rate one of our culture’s least sustainable elitist habits, and even in the days i could afford it i made up my mind to try to avoid doing it wherever possible on principle.

Once again, thanks for the leads…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.