Solar Power

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    gwpoky
    Participant

Looking to build or buy a solar set up to charge the 12 volt car batteries I use on my forecart and maybe to expand to shop/household use in the future. Any suggestions would be great, I know some of you use this on your farms and even others are totally of the grid I am looking to get to that point some day, but I need to pay as I go so I think it will be a step by step processes. I look foreword to your input.

Thank you.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

I have purchased all my equipment from Back Woods Solar , http://www.backwoodssolar.com/

Everyone who works ther lives off the grid and they are very helpfull.

Ed

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

I’ve had good luck with Backwoods solar as well. Around here the Amish are starting to use solar panels to charge the deep cycle batteries in their buggies. I’ve been told the recommended panel size if 50 watts. In addition you’ll need a small charge controller so the battery doesn’t over charge. An Amish business in Northern Indiana sells a solar charging kit for around $200. Bob

sickle hocks
    Participant

I’m off-grid, but at a pretty low level…a fairly inexpensive system and a lifestyle that’s a bit 1880’s. If you are serious about expanding your system in the future and you are willing to invest a bit more, it makes sense to oversize your charge controller. Then you can expand just by plugging in more solar modules and batteries, and an inverter someday. I’m living off a single 210 watt panel but have tons of extra capacity in a 45 amp charge controller…this year I’m going to treat myself and add another panel or two.

You also might want to look into an MPPT style charge controller. With these, you run 24v panels and it steps it down to 12 for your batteries…this allows the controller to ‘float’ the panel voltage all over the place depending on light conditions, and it adds a lot of efficiency by optimizing the solar panel’s operation. Tristar makes a good one.

If you’re thinking of living off grid with an on grid lifestyle, that’s probably different as then you get into a whole different world of equipment to support it, and it’s harder to build that kind of set up incrementally. Day to day I don’t miss power very much…but it is limiting or perhaps directing what the farm is going to look like and produce. I can’t run commercial freezers to store meat long term or walk in coolers for market garden harvests, so it will affect what I choose to produce and how I market and sell it. I think we’re finding our way around most of these issues. Just found a terrific low energy washing machine set up. I’m willing to run a small generator for occasional power tool use. My current challenge is figuring out if I can get some heritage turkeys off to a good start in the spring with some kind of masonry wood heater. Anyway, good luck (a solar powered post!)

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

Sickle Hocks: I hope you have an energy efficient computer so you don’t have to sit in the dark all evening to save up enough power to read and post on this forum. Most of us use way more electricity than we need, but 210 watts isn’t much. I’m impressed you can get by with that. Bob

sickle hocks
    Participant

@Rivendell Farm 32758 wrote:

I hope you have an energy efficient computer so you don’t have to sit in the dark all evening to save up enough power to read and post on this forum.

🙂 it might be a bit like that in december!
    Where I’m at 210 watts gets you one CFL light bulb for most of the evening, several hours of laptop and internet connection, some stereo, an electric fence energizer, and the odd boost charge on the old 6 volt tractor. Oh, and it grinds the coffee every morning.
    This year we get a water well and a neat little washing machine, so the electricity usage will go through the roof…

j.l.holt
    Participant

@sickle hocks 32780 wrote:

🙂 it might be a bit like that in december!
    Where I’m at 210 watts gets you one CFL light bulb for most of the evening, several hours of laptop and internet connection, some stereo, an electric fence energizer, and the odd boost charge on the old 6 volt tractor. Oh, and it grinds the coffee every morning.
    This year we get a water well and a neat little washing machine, so the electricity usage will go through the roof…

You can get a solar powered pump that could pump into a storage tank

Billy Foster
    Participant

I did not used backwoods Solar when building our system but my neighbor, who is off the grid as well, used them to purchase all his equipment and he was very pleased with their service. For small panels, i.e., 40watts, I buy them though Amazon.com. The prices are really good and so far I have had good luck getting some decent equipment. The trick I have found with buying from places like Amazon.com is reading the reviews for the equipment. A 40 or 50w panel with a little 7Amp charge controller will do a great job charging your 12v battery as long as you are not draining it really low every day.
    Billy

j.l.holt
    Participant

The best thing is to incorpurate as many ways to generate power as possible. Solar panels are nice when the sun shines. But in the winter, when the power could be off from storms, your solar panels are not going to be enough. If you have harness stock, you could hook up a turn stile. Or set up a small water wheel.
    I have six ways to put power to my main panel. And there is a chance to add a couple more.

gwpoky
    Participant

j.i,holt,

I would love to hear more about your system. We are in the process of buying a different farm, then its full steam ahead. Would like to learn as many options as possible.

Thank you

j.l.holt
    Participant

@gwpoky 40354 wrote:

j.i,holt,

I would love to hear more about your system. We are in the process of buying a different farm, then its full steam ahead. Would like to learn as many options as possible.

Thank you

Rather long to take up space here and not sure if any would be interested. so if you are e-mail me at jefflholt@gmail.com.

Also if you have pubpic power, close by, that is cheaper than trying to produce your own. Produce your own if you can not get public hook up. If you want to save money, and increase the quility of you home, upgrade your doors ,windows,and insulation. A home power system that would be sellableable to the next guy might be to high teck for them to under stand. And remember high tect systems have high teck problems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.