Spreading Cow Manure

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

I had a load of cow manure delivered from the local farm. We spent Sunday spreading with Ozzie. I had a friend try to load the spreader with the tractor while I headed him off. Oz would not stand still and was clearly agitated. The only way I could get him to stand still was to tie him off to something and then load him. If somethimg is in front of him he stands fine. There is slack in the lead rope I have him tied to.

Maybe its not proper but it worked and I needed to get it spread. Any ideas as to why this is?

Ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4iaJAyXDc

jac
    Participant

Hi Ed, thats a real nice little spreader. You are way braver than me coz I wouldnt trust mine to stand if they were unsure of something. Im ok loading hay or something I can get the lines in a hurry but I personally wouldnt do the tractor thing unless someone was at the heads… The big fella seems to be figuring it out for himself tho. His attitude seemed to get calmer as the film went on.. best regards and stay safe….
    John

Lane Linnenkohl
    Participant

Ed, Jut my opinion, but Ozzie just needs more consistent work and more exposure to new and different things.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. He looks like he’s coming along nicely. Be patient with him and keep him working. Nice job!

jen judkins
    Participant

I don’t know, Ed…can’t find too much to criticize:p. Ozzie looks great and solid as a rock. At first, I thought….not sure that cart looks sturdy enough to hitch to, but you obviously know your horse well enough to make that kind of judgement.

I don’t get excited about a horse showing some concern about what’s going on around them as long as they can take their cue to stay calm from me, like Ozzie was, with you. Nicely done. Jen

PS…all that red was giving me a headache though:D

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Thanks for the responses.

Truth is he just got more relaxed as we continued. The video was the first load, we did 6 more that day and he became more comfortable with each load.

I guess i just get frustrated at the idea it will take 2 people to spread the manure instead of 1.

I think I will have Jane (my wife) hold the lead rope next time and be safer than sorry.

Ed

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Ed, I guess I am not sure if there was a question in your post. The horse did a great job. Ideally I would like to tie to something a little more stable but that will probably be OK. Also, if I doubt a horse I would tie them a little shorter. Nice that he had room to turn around and see what you where doing, but almost a foot of extra rope if he does get excited.

It is interesting that he gets excited when you tried to hold him. “heading” an animal well is not as simple as it seems, and that is part of why it gets such a bad rap. to do it well a person needs to have the demeanor that the animal can feed off of and produce the right behavior. The best way to do it is not to touch the horse – not to talk too much, and model the behavior you are seeking. Gently correcting the horse when it is over reacting, but letting look around. Don’t let it nuzzle, paw, or rub. Many folks that try to help get it just backward. With four and six horse hitches I use heading regularly (for filling a spreader also) I make sure those that are helping understand what I want.

If some one thinks the goal should be to fill that spreader with out securing the horse in some way, or heading them up, then they are willing to take much greater risks than I am. Just imagine what happens when you accidentally hit the rear cross piece with you bucket. Does anyone think that saying whoa from the tractor seat will help. The horse will either stand for it or they won’t. No reason for me to find out.

I think the operation looked great, and I am all ways impressed both of you. Talk to you soon, Donn

Ed Thayer
    Participant

I had another load of manure delivered this week and spread 9 more loads today. Again, I was by myself as my wife is Ill and I needed to get it spread toady.

Oz was solid and hardly flinched today. I loaded as before with him tied off to the mule. I want to get help next time and get someone to head him off while I load.

Don, you bring up a good point about banging the spreader with the bucket. I could see where that might put even the steadiest horse over the edge. The bottom line is that my expectations need to be realistic and I need to keep the well being of Oz as a priority.

So maybe I have to wait a couple of days to get someone to help me out, so be it. I am very green at all this and would hate to be drastically set back because I have taken all our accomplishments for granted.

Matthew
    Participant

Highway that looked like a text book operation to me you or the horse did nothing wrong in my opinion. The horse was interested in the tractor for a moment but thair is noting wrong with that and did not seem concerned, he also stood for five minutes with out moving a inch. Tying your horse shows you are putting you and your horses safety first. Nice job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.