strange d-ring predicament

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Peacework Farm
    Participant

Regarding the deep snow:
    If your logging lot is close to home (or at home) you can make a practice of grooming the trails by dragging a large tractor tire over trail after every snowfall. Last winter I spent at the Perry farm in NE Vermont and we did this most days. We had quite a lot of snow and quite a lot of cold. We would drag a large tractor tire behind the for cart after every snow fall. Sometimes, twice a day when the snow was relentless and the weather too cold to do much else. As a result, we never had to deal with deep snow for the horses to crash through or pull loads through to get out of the woods. If your logging with a scoot or anything with runners, or even with the two wheeled cart, this will make a huge difference. Better footing for the horses, slicker surface for the logs to drag, and slicker surface for sled runners. Well worth the added time of grooming.

Usually when I would go out alone to cut, I’d put the saw and gas and tools in the tire (a plywood platform was built into the hole) and groom the whole trail first to give the team a little work right out of the barn. Then they were pretty happy to stand while I cut. We’d do a mornings worth of skidding, then go back and get the tire and come back to the barn for the best meal of the day.

dominiquer60

The Amish and Mennonite are also limited by the quality of the metal that they can get. So much of out recycled metal goes over seas and comes back to us as a finished product of inferior quality. I imagine the best hardware would be something hand made from older high quality metal stock.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.