superior mule

• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    bivol
    Participant

now we know a mule is a cross between a donkey and a mare. but what if we would like to create a mule superior to all other mules? this is a thread about the search to make the best mule possible.

dam:
    western horses, although selected for strength, gait or speed, lack the toughness, physical soundness and longetivity some other horse breeds possess.
    these other horse breeds, i would refer to them as primitive breeds, are not s big as their western counterparts they stand 11-14 hh, are strong for their size, can survive weather extremes and live and work on poor forage. they also show remarkable endurance when working and are long lived. such horse breeds are found all over the world, mostly in inhospitable regions. they include japanese traditional breeds of horses, bosnian mountain horse, criollo horse, konik horse, mongolian horse, horse of native americans, icelandic horse, fjord horse, and so on…

771_2l.jpg
    konik horse

Bosniake.jpg
    bosnian mountain horse

caballo2.jpg
    argentine criollo horse. they are TOUGH! here is the link:http://www.draftanimalpower.com/showthread.php?t=1216

these horse breeds were shaped by envirement in which they lived, which was always inhospitable, extremely cold and hot depending on season, with poor pastures, and often mountanous or rocky. a portion of a year was what i would call a testing season, when because of the weather conditions and lack of food only the toughest survived.

dad:
    in producing a mule a good sire is equally as important as a good mare. but i think the special sire i’ll explain down is the key which gives this mule the cutting edge. this sire can either be used on horses such as above or on any other mare.

the donkey is tougher, hardier and sounder than most horses. but a common donkey has also softened up and large breeds mostly used to produce mules were never as tough as the small donkeys, but that’s another story.

how to get a best possible sire?
    let me tap on some ancient information about breeding mules. roman scholar columella says that a riding mule superior to the normal riding mule is produced when a mare is crossed to an onager stallion. such mules tend to have superior endurance and hard hooves, but are nervous and difficult to control.

an onager, or wild ass, is a member of the donkey family who lives in arid deserts.

Among the world of equids, the Onager is one of the bigger breeds in Asia. Onagers (Equus Onager) is the fastest, and they are known to be capable of speeds reaching 70km per hour. They could usually be found on semi-desert areas where it is hot (day), cool (nighttime) and only some occurrences of rain.

[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/jelbaum/pics/Animals/Onager1.JPG[/IMG]

also, from wikipedia:

Onagers are a little larger than donkeys at about 290 kg and 2.1 metres (head-body length), and are a little more horse-like. They are short-legged compared to horses, and their coloring varies depending on the season. They are generally reddish-brown in color during the summer, becoming yellowish-brown in the winter months. They have a black stripe bordered in white that extends down the middle of the back. They are notoriously untameable.

in order to avoid such unwanted traits collumella says that the sire for very best breed of mule is produced when a jenny is mated to an onager stallion. than the onager-donkey hybrid is mated to a mare. this produces a tough, spirited mule with stone hard hooves whose endurance is superior to all other mules. another advantage of these mules would be double hybrid vigour. their sire is also a product of crossing of two breeds of donkeys, one of them wild.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Bivol,

That’s why we have the Fjord mules!

You’ve made excellent points! If you’re going to create a mule, use the best available!

Dave

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Can anyone tell them apart? I still can’t even after about 4 months with them! I know the younger one is goofier, but when they’re right next to each other, I have no idea which is which!

They’ll make a great matching team(pair).

D

sanhestar
    Participant

well,

one has a long, feathery “cowlick”, the other one a small, round one in the middle of the forehead.

bivol
    Participant

well i kinda missed the point. the dam part took too much space. what i thought to be new and revolutionary was the use of onager-donkey hybrid as sire. i think using it to a fjord mare could produce even tougher, spirited mule.
    back in the days of ancient greece when horses and donks were tougher than today one mule is said to have lived 80 years. this should give you an idea where i’m aiming.

James
    Participant

I Am following your line of thought, but where can you get A onager?? for the sire. but by the same token would that not increase the stamina of the donkey cross too??? Are there onagers in the U S ?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Pretty hard to beat a Percheron mule from an American Mammoth Jack.

jen judkins
    Participant

yeah, Donn, if I were to ever have a mule, it would be a percheron cross…

whoamule
    Participant

Two of mine are QH/Percheron X mammoth and I like ’em fine.
    ed

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Here is a big black percheron mammoth Jack cross that is for sale. She is sweet and smart, but we haven’t taken the time to do much with her. Stands over 16HH and has as pretty a head as I have ever seen on a mule, but I don’t know that much about mules… I have often wanted to have some red ones, but this came to us without asking, so here she is if anybody wants a black one. Make and offer………

Ronnie Tucker
    Participant

how old is your mare mule jason ronnie tucker

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Ronnie,

I think this molly is six years old. Last fall when we got her she seems to just have made her outside corner teeth or become full mouth. So she is young enough to have a real working future in front of her.

I have to admit that she is a stabilizing feature to the herd situation. She will befriend any new animal put in the herd, keeps watch on the entire field, doesn’t like any dogs and mediates between conflicting pecking order deals and seems to take on the role of second in charge when needed.

She has been hand fed treats before so she sometimes expects that upon greeting. The lady that had her gave her licorice all the time, but knew nothing of being a real mule skinner, although every book and video by Meridith the Mule woman came with her…..

I have never experienced her trying to bite or kick a person and she is the best at avoiding a kick and giving a serious response when threatened by underlings in the herd pecking order.

I also have to admit that I like the creature, although in reality haven’t had time to work with her at all. She has been in the round pen and knows all the body signals, will start and stop by voice, but the one time I put a bit in her mouth she acted like she hadn’t had one there very much. Just simply don’t have time to work with her and have plenty of young stock here that should get more attention to be their full potential.

I could think of nothing better than her being your’s Ronnie Tucker! Give me a call if you are interested, I’m wide open to ideas on finding her a good useful home or a home where she will be used…..

J-L
    Participant

I have two perch cross mules and like them very much. On the idea of breeding a tougher mule, I’m not sure that’s necessary. I barely have enough work for the ones I have.
    I do have one mule who’s out of a Percheron mare and a red jack. He is sorrel but with some dark points. The other is solid black. She would match up very close to Jasons mule, or the solid colored mule in Donns picture.

Anonymous
    Inactive

whats the mature weight and height on the fjord mules

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Sven was 14.3 and 1100 lbs or so. The 2 year old is 14.3 ish now and the 2 year old is around 14. Probably around 1000 lbs each.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.