superior mule

• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    TaylorJohnson
    Participant

You all can not imagine all the time I spent as a kid dreaming up the ” SUPPER MULE” lol . I would love to see those Fjord mules in person . I have always thought that would make a good mule. I have thought that Fjord were very primitive and had many mule qualities .
    I had a little fjord that was a working machine but though a long string of trades, swaps , and purchases I don’t have him any more.
    He was not for just any body to run but he was not a horse to blow up on you ether. Every thing he did had a reason it seemed , someone that did not know better would think he was nuts if they watched him work. He was not nuts and when talked to was as calm as a six o clock pond , he never got over excited he just plain had a gear that most horses don’t .
    One time he got wopt a good one by a porky pine, nose and the side of his head were covered pretty good. He came right to me and let me pull them and I never had to tie him to do it he did flinch on a few but I have pulled quills on coon and bear dogs that raised more of a fuss than him. Now he would not have just let any one pull those quills but he liked me a lot in fact I had to make every one else leave but my wife she had to hold the bucket of water for me. In many ways he was more like a mule than a horse.
    I have always liked those little primitive horses. When I was in Norway I got to ride some good ones for sure and some awesome Icelandic horses as well,,, those were in a class of there own. There we go Icelandic mules LOL. Taylor Johnson

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

They’re pretty cool alright! The young ones are just getting started. But, I like their personalities. They’re both really kind! I think I’ve posted pics here before, but I can again. Also, you can check out my picture gallery at http://gallery.me.com/heehawhaven and look for the Fjules album. I also think there’s a cute video there too at the bottom!

There is an Iclandic mule for sale here near Boise. His name is Snorri and he’s cool! Kind of small, but built well. http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1383423&share_this=Y

I’ll attach a pic of Sven. He was the best! He’s next to the appy mule 2nd from left.

Taylor, you can come see them anytime!

Dave

MNMULE
    Participant

I have a bunch of friends down in alabama that raise and work halflinger mules. I would have to say they would be right up there when it comes to super mules. The two teams are both about 14.2 and both are just super pullers and very good temperaments.

Rod
    Participant

@Donn Hewes 9152 wrote:

Pretty hard to beat a Percheron mule from an American Mammoth Jack.

Hi Donn, do you think my mule is a Percheron cross? This is her photo, the folks we bought her from though so but did not really know.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hard to say for sure but it looks like one to me. How old is it? How much does he weight? If he is full grown and 1400 to 1600 pounds there aren’t that many mares that can make a mule like that. Nice looking mule.

Rod
    Participant

@Donn Hewes 19639 wrote:

Hard to say for sure but it looks like one to me. How old is it? How much does he weight? If he is full grown and 1400 to 1600 pounds there aren’t that many mares that can make a mule like that. Nice looking mule.

She is a Molly mule, and the photo was taken when she had her winter coat. Now she is almost pure black. I don’t know her weight and I have fattened her up a little since the photo which was taken just after I got her but would guess in the 1300 + range. Jenny is 15.2 hands and is 18 years old. Was an Amish mule until she was 7 years old and has been used driving as a lead mule in a 4 up hitch, she is very steady and she rides and drives single.
    Jenny is very well mannered and easy to get along with, will stand for hours without a fuss, has a real nice stretched out gait and a smooth ride. It took a while for her to settle in here (new surroundings ) and she has bonded well with our donkeys. She is a pleasure to own and use and as you can probably guess I really like her.

XLmules
    Participant

I would like to put 2 cents worth in about the Onager….if the Onager is a species (yes) and the donkey is a species (yes) and you combine the two the resulting pairing would produce a hybrid….now, since most hybrids are sterile (mule and hinney), would the donkey X Onager hybrid be fertile?…..hhhhmmm. The “Standard of Ur” an art piece believed to be from about 3,600 BC depicts Sumerian soldiers in a chariot being drawn by four mules…there has been discussion about whether these are actually Onagers instead of mules, but I would have to say probably not since the Onager has not been domesticated as long as the donkey or horse (and the animals pictured look to be too tall to be Onagers)…..kind of like breeding zebras which a local guy here does….when he sells the weanlings, and they try to load them by taking panels and slowly closing them in towards the trailer, they run into things and break their necks…it is sad…..so, I don’t think that the Onager has the centuries of domestication in it’s background to be a suitable sire for a donkey X Onager X horse hybrid – but this is just my opinion:-) Something else occurred to me also, interspecies breeding is rare in nature. A jack is usually a “mare jack” or a “jennet jack” – a jack has to be trained to breed mares as this is outside of his innate desire to breed his “own kind”. The Moors would take a horse foal and kill it and put the skin on a jack colt and give him to the mare to raise to have him breed mares in the future, so if Onagers are relatively mean little devils, it would be interesting to see how breeding would be accomplished “in hand”.

bivol
    Participant

there are also lots of inter-species crossings that are inter-fertile, like cattle-yak crosses, buffalo-cattle, etc…

yes, onagers and donkeys are inter-fertile, much like przewalsky horse and domestic horse are interfertile.

in mongolia there is a (banned) practice of crossing tame mares with przewalsky sires. the product is still too wild, but additional crossing with horses will produce 25% przewalsky ans 75% domestic horse, which is tame enought but superior in speed and endurance to domestic horses, and widely prized for racing.

following the analogy, once a tame jenny is mated to a wild onager stallion, it’s offspring is more spirited and superionr in stamina, strength, and hoof strength. and their speed, strength, and aggression would have been put to good use when in heat of battle. no place for a slow, timid common ass there, they needed something more like a muscle car, so they “tuned up” the common donkey with onager blood.

as for their looks, i think onagers are taller and have shorter ears than domestic donkeys, so…
    they are called “donkeys”, but in fact the are called a half donkey, an equid that is more closely related to donkeys than horses, but still not a donkey.

SuperStock_1370-1901.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

How about using a kiang? They’re fast and tough but you’d need to choose the horse carefully to even out the kiang’s negative points. A reputable zoo (registered charity) that was looking for funding might consider allowing its kiang stallion to be used for AI. As for agricultural mules, how about a Dutch draught cross? The sire would have to be something heavy like a Poitou.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.