The Bakery Wagon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    goodcompanion
    Participant

Some of you might remember past pipe dreams of a commercial bakery wagon, somewhere or other around here on another thread, in another year. Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to come back and announce that construction is under way. I hope to chronicle the progress through text and photos. Launch date: memorial day.

After considering the various platforms one might use to build a bakery wagon I decided to go old-school. I bought a new hampshire market wagon once used for that purpose and crudely repaired over the years. It had 44″ wheels on the front and 48″ on the rear. The bed was only 36″ wide, an open bed about 6″ deep with a seat forward, with shafts attached to the axle. With those high front wheels it had a very limited turning radius, only 15 degrees or so.

I bought some Ivan Collins plans for a historic bakery wagon. This wagon featured a wider bed, 44″, and a full fifth wheel in the front capable of full cut-under. The front wheels were only 32.” The fifth wheel truck and springing apparatus illustrated on the plans is probably one of the most elaborate mechanisms I’d ever seen, with three interlocked springs for the front axle and three for the rear.

But the old market wagon had only two fore-and aft “market wagon” style springs. As it probably should. I mostly bought the wagon for its wheels and axles, but as I did my research it seemed like a good idea to restrain the budget by making use of the leaf springs I had. So I decided to keep using the market wagon springs and add stiffness by also adding the two sets of wagon seat springs mounted athwartships between the axle and the box.

By moving my smaller wheels (44″) to the back and ordering two new ones at 34″ from Witmer Coach in New Holland for the front, I was able to configure things with a much better cut-under, closer to 30 degrees, and still using the wider 44″ box. The deck of the box will be higher than on the old wagon, about 34″.

The finished wagon will feature a lot of varnished ash and sides about 4′ x 7′ painted with nice script and pictures describing the essence of what we do in as appealing a way as we can contrive without being “twee.” Use of that word being a nod to the brits and scots among us since it is such a great word, and we new englanders don’t have any translation for it. But the risk of tweeness is real so we really should…

It will accommodate a driver, a passenger, some gear, and about 24 small crates of baked goods and/or produce, plus a large cooler of inspected meats.

Here is my project budget:

antique wagon : $600
    two new wheels: $300
    4 sheets plywood: $80
    misc. fasteners, glue: $20
    rough-cut ash lumber: $200
    paint and finishing supplies: $100
    metalwork for rear step: $100

Total $1300

This being for the basic wagon. A few accessories are bound to be added to fill out the total cost a bit more, such as vegetable and baked-good crates, and a pull-out awning.

We are planning to do an eight-mile circuit once or twice a week with three stops, and a total of about six hours vending. I am hoping for just modest sales, $250 or so per day ($40 per hour) would be enough to declare victory. However local people here seem to think it will be a colossal commercial success. We’ll see.

ngcmcn
    Participant

Rock and Roll Eric. I predict you will be an instant success and sell out everything you have on your route. All you need now is a horse weight to tie your horse up with.

GoodLuck

Neal Maine>>>>>>>VT

Andy Carson

This sounds like a great project. I am excited to see pictures and hear how the venture goes. Best of luck!

goodcompanion
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement. This is one of those projects that I have wanted to get into for some time, but it’s never been obvious that it would be a cost-effective investment of time or money. Other more proven things always take precedence. But now we have a little window of time and a few resources with which to proceed. I kind of think that it will be successful beyond my extremely modest expectations, but of course time will tell. There are no comparable enterprises to serve as a model for what we might expect.

Today was the first day of construction. I don’t have the new 34″ wheels from Amish country yet but I made a mock-up of such a wheel with a piece of plywood, and a mock-up of the deck of the box at the desired elevation. Using this mock-up we were able to determine that the finished deck would sit level and allow for 30 degree turns.

Today, with the help of my two apprentices I made the pillow blocks for the four springs and the basic frame that will support the deck. I am cutting mortise-and-tenon joints for all the main framing members to help the box resist racking while on the road.

The ash came rough-cut from the sawmill but those two apprentices spent all of yesterday finish-planing the entire stack by hand. They didn’t complain of any soreness today which tells you something of their general appetite for labor. I got lucky this year, I really think.

Yesterday I went before the Vergennes city council and was approved to become a licensed “peddler” for $100 per year. I need to coordinate with the city manager to find the best tie-up locations for the horse to best accommodate considerations of public safety and public grounds. My preferred spot would be on the city green, off the roadway, and tied up to a bike rack. But at curbside and tied up to a lamppost would be okay too.

We also plan a vending stop down by the docks where the lake boats pull in to get provisions and a third in Ferrisburgh where a trendy gas station/convenience store has agreed to let us do our thing.

Tomorrow I will take the camera into the shop and document progress. I will try to keep this thread updated on the construction and from there into the field as we begin the vending route.

jac
    Participant

Hi Erik.. That sounds a winning idea and the very best of luck. Looking forward to the pictures. The equipment fabrication page might have been set up with the emphasis being on modern methods but its great to see traditional skills working too.. Is your wheels iron shod or do you have the rubber clincher set up ?… “Twee” is a great word by the way.. conjours up images of Agatha Christies 1920s England.. just the sort of image you need for your delivery van..
    John

J-L
    Participant

I bet it’ll work for you Erik. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. It would be fun to go with you on a run. Great idea.

goodcompanion
    Participant

Here I have attached, I think, a copy of the plan for the historic vehicle I’m kind of copying and a photo of the new crossbeam that receives the front axle auxillary spring.

Now I have the chassis that supports the deck of the box all assembled and glued up. The deck I think I am going to cheat on and use plywood. Then it is on to the walls, which have studs visible only from the inside with a light plywood sheathing. The roof has a compound curve to it in front so that should be interesting.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Erik, I am excited to see the delivery wagon going forward. I often joke (0nly partly gidding) that when all else fails I will be able to get a delivery route in town and be perfectly happy. Can’t wait for the bread to roll. Donn

I planted about 1/2 an acre of wheat this spring.

goodcompanion
    Participant

So the wagon is coming along. Right now I am working on the body of the box. The body is constructed of five frames, like the “bents” on a timber frame house. The rear frame houses two taillights and a rectangular opening for a door. The front frame and the one behind it rise up from the deck from the four corners of a bench the driver sits on. The remaining two frames are just studs with an arched roof beam. These two support the structure inside the cargo compartment.

So far I have made all but the two frames that are inside the cargo compartment. Each frame so far is made like a sort of cabinet out of ash with panels and mortise-and-tenon glued joints. They are really stressful to put together with so many parts constantly slipping out of square, but I have had some help. And a bunch of pipe clamps.

Currently the box is up on some sawhorses. With frames 1,2, and 5 installed you can really see the shape of the thing coming together. Meanwhile Hallie, my apprentice, is coating and recoating the side panels and wheels with yellow enamel. This weekend we will probably fit the side panels and bolt the box to the gear and attach the wheels. I am guessing the finished weight empty will be around 6-800 lbs.

Once we reach the point where it is on wheels there will still be the sheathing of the roof, which has a compound curve in the front, and the fitting of electronics, shelving, and an awning and crate brackets.

Anybody know about leather axle washers? What are they supposed to be for? Necessary or not?

I realize this text is probably a little tedious without pictures and promise to oblige.

OldKat
    Participant

I can’t wait to see what you are building. I think this is just about the neatest thing I have ever heard anybody do. I am very hopeful that this will be an overwhelming success for you guys

I realize this text is probably a little tedious without pictures and promise to oblige.

😀 promise taken

mitchmaine
    Participant

erik, i think those leather washers are like a boot. meant to protect your bearing from road grit. any sand or gravel that got in the grease was trapped for life and would do a number on the bearings. my guess, anyway. mitch

goodcompanion
    Participant

Here are some photos. There is enough of it together now to give you the idea!

I have been in dialog with SFJ about doing an article about this project, from the original inspiration through construction to the end use. Any suggestions from you guys as far as angles of interest to the readership would be welcome! For instance one thing to note is that while my version makes pretty heavy use of cabinet joinery, you can make a very serviceable box using plywood in lieu of stile-rail-panel construction, I could elaborate on that.

Another is that I have along the way learned a lot about springs and wheels, and what makes commercial vehicles distinct from passenger vehicles. That is to say, a doctor’s buggy or amish buggy would make a poor platform for a wagon like this, and explaining why that’s so might save somebody a lot of trouble.

Andy Carson

Looks great! I am curious what you learned about springs and wheels. I think you are using wooden wheels, right? This is in keeping with the overall design of the wagon, are there other advantages to this type of wheel? I have been toying with the idea of building a smaller two wheeled delivery cart if your delivery experience seems positive. I was basically going to rob the wheels, axle, and suspension from a small utility trailer and sit in on a nicely constructed and decorated box. Does this type of design jive with what you have learned about wheels and suspension?

jac
    Participant

Real nice work Erik, its great to see skills like that still alive today..looks like it will last a couple of lifetimes..Mitch is bang on with the leather washers and they ARE vital..Over here we had 2 types of light axle… the “Mail” axle was developed for the stage coach. It was strong and safe. The “Collinge” axle was smoother though. The “Collinge” was oiled and the “Mail” was greased..Looking forward to more fotos..
    John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.