The Bakery Wagon

Viewing 2 posts - 91 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    LStone
    Participant

I do a combination of the same things myself. But I hesitate to “direct traffic” in any way except for the rare occurrence of an over cautious driver who will not pass. I feel I would potentially involve myself more in any impending accident. Possibly even to receive more than a portion of the blame. Would it not? I think I am obligated to stop and be “involved” just by the mere presence of me and my animals. In NH I interpret the laws to be that I have right of way and that motorized vehicles should approaching from the rear should slow down to the speed of my vehicle and pass with care when safe. Oncoming traffic should slow down to a stop until I pass. I feel like my responsibility is limited only to maintaining a consistent lane of travel off to the side of the road as possible and obey traffic signals. I am on total alert when driving in traffic but comfortable driving under those terms. Frankly I am grateful my horses deal with traffic well because the interpretation of others vary greatly.

Grey you weren’t too much of a downer for me earlier but you raise valid points, and it is just one of those things that one has to think long and hard about if they are going to be as close to the intersection of draft animals and technology as we tend to be sometimes. I have thought long and hard about your perspective and would enjoy other more seasoned teamsters advise and their perspective on it. Going to the transfer station and across town to do a grain run tomorrow with my bigguns. Yes Grey, I will.

Thinking this subject would probably be a good separate thread on its own. because we obviously hijacked Eriks wagon. It is just too bad we didn’t get to eat the goods. Sorry Erik but I think you are following along also as you have skin in the game too.

grey
    Participant

I do not feel like I have an obligation or responsibility to perform all this interaction with traffic. But it does result in traffic behaving in manner that I feel is safer for me and my horses, so I do it.

Viewing 2 posts - 91 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.