"The Horse In The Forest"

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces "The Horse In The Forest"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Donn, I noticed that about your horses at the field days. At one point one of the mares started to get anxious and the fact that no one around her reacted any differently than if she was just standing still, she just settled down and was over it. I have had good and bad experiences with interns and I feel like this conversation we are having translates directly to some of the issues I have had.
    Good stuff, maybe Carl or Donn or both should write something up a little more formal and we can put it into its own thread?

patchencindy
    Participant

JaredWoodcock, thanks so much for bringing this book to everyone’s attention. JJK, I followed your lead and emailed the UK seller about the cost of shipping one or multiple copies to the U.S. Here’s the core of his response:

“Standard Royal Mail shipping the the USA of a small parcel is £15 on top of the £21.99 book price. If you wanted to order 4 books it would be £22 on top of the £87.96 book price. If you would like to place an order, let me know and I can send you a Transferwise.com request for the exact amount.”

By my calculations, ordering four books translates into $41 each. I’m going to order myself a copy, probably before the end of the year, and I’d be happy to order more at the same time. Just let me know if any of you are interested. (Your cost would also include shipping from Tennessee, and I don’t know exactly how much that’d be.)

Happy Holidays! Cindy

Mike Rock
    Participant

Patchencindy,
    Count me in for a book. Where do I send the bucks? I checked British Horse Loggers and though the airfare was lower at 5.5 British pounds the book was more pricey at 30BP.

Mike Rock

Any others? I might order two or three just to make up the full order.

Ron
    Participant

Hi all
    I would agree with all this discussion on communicating between horse and driver. Just like this forum, communication is a two way street based on shared values and respect over a common medium. These constraints apply to the horse and driver as well. In the example given about the horse taking some hay as you enter the stall to feed and the following discussion about rules for the sake of rules what is left out is what is the horse trying to communicate. Is it simply, ” here comes the lunch wagon and I am glad to see you,” or is it I am the most important individual in the universe and you are Late with My Feed!” The two discussions are happening over the medium of an armful of hay but they are very different in nature and should be thought about and the response communicated differently. To one horse a rebuke for a bite of hay could be soul crushing insult but to another it could be a kindness that stops a misunderstanding that in time will escalate out of all proportion.
    Wendall Berry talk about us living in an Industrial Culture but I think we are living in a Computer Culture in which all answers are binary and we demand they be found in the two figures 0, 1,
    To a horse the world is not just 0 and 1 (rigid rules) it is ramped vision, heightened sense of smell, survival instincts, genetic predesign, body language, nurture and nature.
    The joy of great horsemanship is the ability to speak to and hear from and accomplish with, another species which has a lot to say but not the way we say it.
    I think it is one of the reasons for the escalation in tensions amidst people world wide is that we want, no again we demand to think and communicate in binary code to one another when the depth, beauty and reality of what is being said is being totally marginalized.
    I think if there was more great horse people in this world it would be a measurably better place to live and communicate.
    Ron

Mike Rock
    Participant

Cindy, stick your hoofie up……we want to order books!!

Mike

patchencindy
    Participant

Hey, folks, Jared emailed me today to let me know there was more interest in the book. (Thanks, Jared!) Mike, I’ll definitely add on as many copies as you’d like. Here’s the latest (12/16) email from David, the seller I corresponded with in the UK. Shipping from TN to wherever you are isn’t included yet, of course.

Hello Cindy,

We will be getting more stock of The Horse in the Forest in the New Year, so can supply as many books as you require. Postage costs for 10 books are £26 via UPS. Let me know when you have a final figure and I’ll put together a price. If you make it to 10 books or more we can apply a bit of a discount to the book price.

Regards,

David Morgan / Technical Manager
    david.morgan@orionheating.co.uk
    Orion Heating and Orion Forestry, divisions of
    Orion Heating & Renewables Limited

Mike Rock
    Participant

Cindy,
    I’ll take two then. If no one wants more, I’ll take four on speculation.

God bless.

Mike

Merry Christmas all.

I used to live in Kingston when I worked at Oak Ridge on a project.

patchencindy
    Participant

Got it, Mike. Brian just headed to Kingston to grocery shop! At about 13 miles, it’s the closest town.

patchencindy
    Participant

By the way, minus your copies, Mike, I’ve got maybe 8-10 requests. If you’ll shoot me your location, I’ll get a shipping quote from here to there before placing the final order.

Mike Rock
    Participant

Cindy,
    <mikerock@mhtc.net>
    Argyle, WI

Mike Rock
    Participant

I’ll be darned. Which direction? I lived SE, about ten miles as the crow flies, lot longer when he was driving through the kudzu.

Merry Christmas.

Mike Rock
    Participant

Just north of the Paint Rock store a mile and a half. Nice old log house, tin roof and a barn. Neighbours had a big grape vineyard they never worked with, a shame. Lots of good jelly from there. Other neighbours made wine from it. Love the caving down there.

patchencindy
    Participant

Here’s an update on the “Horse in the Forest” order, for those interested: I’ve just emailed the UK seller for an exact price on shipping 10 or 12 books to Tennessee. Will let you know when I hear back. Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to join in this order, do let me know right away. Happy New Year to everyone!

patchencindy
    Participant

Just read your 12/24 post, Mike. Sounds like a great place. You lived within a stone’s throw of our farm. From Paint Rock Baptist Church, down Oakland-Sweetwater Road (Hwy. 322), we’re 4.5 miles.

Mike Rock
    Participant

Cindy,
    That’s very cool! Great place to live. I remember coming home one evening and the TN volunteers youth were marching along the road. I admired that to no end. Being brought up AMERICAN and proving it.

God bless you all.

Mike

I just looked up some friends on White pages. Computer guy in Kingston and some others over in Lenoir. Might have to take trip south to pick up the books and visit friends.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.