To clip or harvest?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

I have a two acre field that has about 4″ of growth on it right now. we have harvested 2 awesome crops of hay this year so far.

Is it acceptable to clip this growth before winter and let it feed the soil? I do not generate enough compost to cover the whole field. What do the rest of you do?

Are there any negative aspects to leaving taller growth uncut for the winter? I could foresee a lot of matted grass in the Spring if we did not clip it down.

Ed

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

If it’s a legume you shouldn’t cut it because it needs to build root reserves going into winter. I also wouldn’t bother cutting grass either at this height. I know if you graze pastures too short in the fall it takes longer for them to get started in the spring. Some grasses, rye in particular, if left too tall in the winter can smother the stand, killing some of it. But it seems that mowing it and leaving it on the ground could have the same effect. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about four inches. Maybe spend the time tuning up the mower instead. Bob

Eli
    Participant

If the alfalfa is four inches tall don’t cut it as it is just starting to build root reserves never cut alfalfa unless it is just starting to bud or dormant from a good freeze. If it is for horses I would wait untill it is 50% flowered. If it was mine I would let it unless you need the feed. It is hard to smother I like to have 12 inches of alfalfa to catch the the snow and stick up through any ice that may form

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Thanks for the responses.
    I should have stated in my first post that it is a stand of mixed grasses and clover. No Alfalfa or rye.

Ed

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi Ed:

I would leave as much residual as you can (i.e. don’t clip). Fall is an important time for root growth and carbohydrate storage. Clipping or grazing tight this time of year interrupts that important stage and will stunt growth in the spring. My haying mentor – a retired dairy farmer who still splits 20 cords of wood by hand at age 78 – would often forgo 3rd cut in order to help regenerate his hay fields. This was in stark contrast to many farmers who would either take a 3rd cut (or 4th) or graze it off if there wasn’t enough to hay.

Here is link that I found which may explain more….

George

George

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Sorry the link didn’t post – still can’t figure out the new forum 🙁

Try copying and pasting in your browser:

http://www.ampacseed.com/pdfs/FallPastureManagement.pdf

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Great info George, that was just what I was looking for.

Ed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.