What Kind of dogs to you all Keep

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Other Working Animals What Kind of dogs to you all Keep

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sanhestar
    Participant

we have three Aussies, one English Shepherd (one of the few in Germany) – all work the goats in turn and one old rescued Dalmatian – she spends most of her time now on the couch.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

I have two English Springer Spaniels. I hunt them both in the fall for partridge and woodcock.

Great dogs that I train myself and really enjoy to hunt over. They also make great house dogs. I think Springers get a bad wrap because of some of the Backyard Breeders out there who ruin the dogs line by cross breeding or poor practices.

jwayne972
    Participant

We have 5 turd herders. Two German Shepherd/Elkhound mixes, a black lab, a chocolate lab, and Springer Spaniel.
    I shot my first woodcock over my spaniel this last fall, and missed a few grouse the few times I managed to go out. The others just guard the house and keep us warm in the winter.
    Highway, I agree with your assessment on Springers getting a bad name from irresponsible breeders, but I place most of the blame on breeding for show, instead of work, and puppy mills. I’ve never bought a dog in my life, but if I did I would be sure to go see the parents work and meet the breeder. From what I’ve seen the people having one or two litters a year at home, are the ones responsible for preserving good working lines.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.