What type of bedding are you using?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Homestead What type of bedding are you using?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

I have finished my compost building and am ready to put it to good use.

A couple of questions.

What do others use for bedding?

I am concerned that to much shavings in by pile will adversley affect the carbon levels.

I have heard of people using straw, wood pellets and of course shavings.

What have your experiances been? We have stalls that are all lined with rubber mats. We are using shavings in the winter and nothing in the summer as they have free access to the field all day and night.

Thanks,

Ed

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

We use sawdust in our barn for our cattle, and I have used straw and shavings for my horses in the past. Hay tends to mat and I have even used shredded paper but that seems to take a really long time to break down. One big question is what do you have for livestock? Cattle manure is higher in Nitrogen than Horses, and Chicken or poultry is higher yet. If you have a mix you may not have too much of an imbalance but I have never really studied up on the subject either. I just figure the compost is ready for the garden when it is crumbly, black, full of worms, and no longer smells.

Joshua

Ed Thayer
    Participant

We will be composting primarily horse manure. But will add some leaf and yard wastes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.