Winter Firewood Harvest at Eathwise Farm & Forest

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals Winter Firewood Harvest at Eathwise Farm & Forest

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

I was playing around with an interactive map program and decided to show you some of what I have been up to.

We have about 160 acres, mostly woods. It is pretty much all uphill from the house, and a long way to the back corners. There is a lot of wood on the ridgeline, but as I said it is a long way. Luckily, as I said it is all downhill on the way back.

So for the last few years I have been harvesting up there using the bobsled. We finally got a good trail frozen in, as the snow was very hard to pack. It is 3300 feet distance from where I load the sled to the landing, and it drops 450 feet in elevation. Needless to say, there are a few “nice” downhills where I have to use bridle chains to hold the load back.

Haven’t got any pix yet, but hope to this week….. maybe even a video.

Carl

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Carl, How are you getting across the brook? I like the map.

Carl Russell

I have a 18″ culvert where the trail crosses the brook. 25 Years ago I built a wooden bridge, but it washed out about 10-12 years ago. I had my excavator friend take his dozer up this trail when we put in the culvert, and widen and improve drainage on the main trail. This property has a wide network of “Old” logging trails, and the main trail had become a gully with a brook at the bottom in many places. Now we have a wide trail and waterbars.

Many of the old trails, including where I am cutting now, are in places where they cut through clefts in huge rock outcroppings. I travel along a little valley between ledges, then drop down through opening with rock with feet of the edge of the trail onto a plateau of sorts, then around a corner, between two ledges, and on down. It is very attractive and challenging terrain.

Carl

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would second the attractive and challenging part of Carl’s post. Thanks for letting me tag along yesterday Carl. It was a great way to spend my Saturday afternoon.

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.