sugaring

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Livewater Farm
    Participant

here we go again the BIG question to tap or not to tap
    whats the weather going to do
    catch the early runs or wait and hope the season goes on for 4 to 6 weeks

what you all thinking are we dammed if we do and dammed if we dont
    Bill

dominiquer60

Sam has 1,100 on vacuum and they boiled Tuesday for the first time, nice stuff almost good enough for Fancy Boy 🙂

Another local guy in Ashford, CT tapped with pails 2 weeks ago and has boiled a few times now. We have to get it before it buds early like it is threatening to in Southern NE.

Erika

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Most guys around us have had 3 or so boils by now. Our buds are starting to look ominous in some of our warmer microclimates, we will see how long it lasts…..

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Fancy Boy figures to get tapped out this week. Who knows, the season could already be half over or just getting started.
    Mark

Carl Russell

I purchased a good 2×8 in December with shittons of enthusiasm, but now I am pretty confident that this will be a good season to hold off.

I’ll have to wait and see. I guess I’m just having a hard time with the variability of this season. I have already seen sap flowing from maples we have cut, and twigs are green, and there is no frost in the ground, and the trees have already fulfilled their dormancy requirements, so I think it may be fast and furious and unproductive.

Maybe I need some more sleep.

Carl

daniel grover
    Keymaster

We put in 125 taps in in southern NH about two weeks ago when the daytime temp was in the low 50s for almost a week. They were running pretty good then but we barely caught it–just weren’t ready in time.

Now we’re running again and looking towards another week of good sugaring weather.

But, the ground isn’t fully frozen and there isn’t much snow down so who knows how long it’ll last. At the very least we’ll have some syrup for ourselves for the year.

ethalernull
    Participant

put 400 taps in at the end of january here in columbia county ny, earliest i’ve ever tapped. caught some good runs over the past two weeks made almost 5 gallons so far, warming up very quickly now…

dominiquer60

Sam called at 4:30 this morning from the cooperative sugarhouse. The gentleman who owns the evaporator that we use, called him at 3:30, he was going to start the RO before he headed to work, could Sam come and boil, he asked. It ran so hard that the tanks were overflowing, in 36 hours Sam collected 3,200 gallons and boiled twice, and the day is not over yet. Get it while the going is good. If 2016 is a short season, we will be thankful for a little surplus that we have from 2015, retail sales have been gaining every year with minimal marketing.

Be safe out there and enough the first major crop of the season.

Erika

wild millers
    Participant

Hey Daniel – Have fun! Good luck everyone!

Ed Thayer
    Participant

We are done tapping all our tubing here, just need to get the buckets up this week and we are good to go. I cleaned the sugar house yesterday and will rinse the evaporator tomorrow. I haven’t boiled yet but expect maybe this weekend. Could be a short season. I guess time will tell. Good luck to you all.

Ed

dominiquer60

How is the season coming along for everyone?

Yesterday I heard that it was going like gangbusters in SE VT, and Sam collected a good amount in NE CT. Unfortunately word on the street, in our neighborhood, is that the peepers are out. This is a good month early for them, maybe the cold snap the next few days will help prevent budding for a little longer, but I am afraid to say that it looks like I am bringing nice weather home with me from the south. It is predicted to be in the 60 when I get home next week.

Happy sugaring, give it hell while it lasts.

Erika

LongViewFarm
    Participant

I’ll be boiling all weekend. Different spiles this year and I’ve got almost 300 gallons to boil. Time to start looking for an evaporator…

LongViewFarm
    Participant

Yup,
    I’d like to buy a used arch. 2×4 or 2×6. I have cash and transport capability. Will you folks kindly keep an eye out for me. If you hear of any deals let me know?
    Thanks, Jay

dominiquer60

Jay,

Keep and eye out here for used equipment, http://mapletrader.com/community/

Erika

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

It ain’t over til it’s over. Best run of the year today and sap still running when I collected this evening.
    Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.