sugaring

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

Agreed, we had our second best run and gathered over 1,200 gallons on the 22nd and 23rd. Another 250 yesterday. Sugar count is down but the sap still looked good. Running out of wood now. Had to go to the sawmill slab pile twice to keep going.

Ed

dominiquer60

Week have red maples budding all over the place, but the hard maples are running like crazy, too bad all the lines have been disconnected and washed out for the year. 🙁

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Erika,

I saw some tubing lots yesterday when I was at Mr. Chases Farm in Pomfret that were all plugged and washed. We are still going here, although I did pull my buckets down on Saturday.

Ed

LongViewFarm
    Participant

My father in law just bought a leader 1/2 pint evaporator, to be installed on the farm here. I suppose it’s a wedding present. Half depth raised channels for surface area.
    So I will be building a sugar house, too, or using the existing barn up the hill. I’m not sure yet.
    Next year we’ll buy an expansion pan for the back and be able to boil up around 12 gph.

So we’re getting started. It’s a nice diversification for the farm.

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/p-285-leader-half-pint-evaporator.aspx

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Half pints are great, if you ask around there are a lot of people who modify them to run more efficiently. Congrats

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.